SUBSCRIBE to This Old House: http://bit.ly/SubscribeThisOldHouse.
Nathan Gilbert heads back to the shop to explain how modern cylindrical locksets differ from mortise sets. He shows Kevin O’Connor how simple these modern locksets are to install and repair.
Time: Under an hour
Cost: Under $100 (depending on the lockset)
How to Replace a Common Door Lock
1. Start by removing the two screws holding the deadbolt thumb turn onto the door. Remove the thumb turn and pull the deadbolt cylinder out from the front of the door.
2. Remove the two screws holding the deadbolt into the jamb side of the door. Slide the bolt out once loose.
3. Remove the set screw holding the doorknob onto the lockset and remove the knob. Remove the two screws holding the interior of the lockset to the door and remove it. For thumb-activated knobs, remove the screw holding the bottom of the exterior door knob set in place and remove the doorknob.
4. Remove the two screws holding the latch into the jamb side of the door and pull the latch out of the door.
5. Slide the new deadbolt through the top hole in the jamb side of the door. Leave it loose at first.
6. Slide the exterior portion of the deadbolt cylinder through the top hole on the exterior of the door. Slide the interior piece over the shaft on the inside of the door, and insert the two screws holding the two halves together. Thread the two screws into the jamb side of the deadbolt and then tighten the other screws. Check the deadbolt for operation.
7. Slide the latch into the lower hole on the jamb side of the door. Be sure that the curved side of the latch is facing the jamb to allow it to operate correctly. Leave the two screws holding the latch out of the door for now.
8. Slide the exterior half of the doorknob through the lower hole on the exterior side of the door. Slide the interior collar in place and insert the two screws holding the two halves together. Tighten the screws holding the latch into the jamb side of the door and then tighten the other screws. Check the lockset for operation.
Looking for more step by step guidance on how to complete projects around the house? Join This Old House Insider to stream over 1,000 episodes commercial-free: https://bit.ly/2GPiYbH
Plus, download our FREE app for full-episode streaming to your connected TV, phone or tablet: https://www.thisoldhouse.com/pages/streaming-app
About Ask This Old House TV:
From the makers of This Old House, America’s first and most trusted home improvement show, Ask This Old House answers the steady stream of home improvement questions asked by viewers across the United States. Covering topics from landscaping to electrical to HVAC and plumbing to painting and more. Ask This Old House features the experts from This Old House, including general contractor Tom Silva, plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey, landscape contractor Jenn Nawada, master carpenter Norm Abram, and host Kevin O’Connor. ASK This Old House helps you protect and preserve your greatest investment—your home.
Follow This Old House:
How to Replace a Common Door Lock | Ask This Old House