SUBSCRIBE to This Old House: http://bit.ly/SubscribeThisOldHouse.
Master electrician, Heath Eastman takes us on a house call to help a homeowner move a light over their dining room table. After assessing the situation and getting some careful measurements, the two move the table, shut off the breaker and get to work moving the light fixture.
Time: 3 hours
Cost: Under $60
Where to find it?
Heath moves a kitchen ceiling light fixture 12-18 inches to center it over a kitchen table. He uses a small metal rod (about 16 inches long), pushes it through the ceiling, and bends it to a 90-degree angle, so there is about 2 inches of bent wire through the ceiling. Heath says by rotating the rod around 360 degrees without hitting anything, he knows he can freely work in that section of the ceiling.
Once Heath determines that the new location is free of obstacles, he drills a hole using a dust collector, and a 4-inch hole saw. After Heath detaches the fixture, he removes the old electrical box from the ceiling, freeing up the wire. After Heath installs the appropriate junction box and runs the wiring through it, he installs the new light fixture.
Looking for more step by step guidance on how to complete projects around the house? Join This Old House Insider to stream over 1,000 episodes commercial-free: https://bit.ly/2GPiYbH
Plus, download our FREE app for full-episode streaming to your connected TV, phone or tablet: https://www.thisoldhouse.com/pages/streaming-app
* Painter’s tape [https://amzn.to/3OJSgyU]
* Pencil [https://amzn.to/3u92Yag]
* Wire test bit [https://amzn.to/3QSwOtw]
* Fan brace [https://amzn.to/3npbrm2]
* Electrical box [https://amzn.to/3R5ym3w]
* Wire connector [https://amzn.to/3OLbbtd]
* Chandelier light fixture [https://amzn.to/3Ntn0Dd]
* Hardware (including wire nuts) [https://amzn.to/3nomFXZ]
* Non-contact voltage tester [https://amzn.to/3yq16MU]
* Screwdriver [https://amzn.to/3I1tWWZ]
* Tape measure [https://amzn.to/3bAtov6]
* Laser or plumb bob [https://amzn.to/3QUd34M]
* Screw gun [https://amzn.to/3y0gNsW]
* Pliers [https://amzn.to/3Ab5ikU]
* Keyhole saw or hole saw [https://amzn.to/3QSzW8K]
* Wire strippers [https://amzn.to/3yrWHJr]
About Ask This Old House TV:
From the makers of This Old House, America’s first and most trusted home improvement show, Ask This Old House answers the steady stream of home improvement questions asked by viewers across the United States. Covering topics from landscaping to electrical to HVAC and plumbing to painting and more. Ask This Old House features the experts from This Old House, including general contractor Tom Silva, plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey, landscape contractor Jenn Nawada, master carpenter Norm Abram, and host Kevin O’Connor. ASK This Old House helps you protect and preserve your greatest investment—your home.
Follow This Old House:
Moving a Light Fixture | Ask This Old House