⛵Check out the TotalBoat High Performance Epoxy (https://amzn.to/2QRf5GA) and Table Top Epoxy (https://amzn.to/2RbxvC2) I used!
🛹 Check out Woby Design! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDjSle78ri-xeH0oyfMWisg
👕 Get your Build It Yourself merch! http://bit.ly/BuildItYourselfMerch
📦 Materials Used On The Skateboard Bowl (affiliate):
Broken Skateboards (duh!)
TotalBoat Table Top Epoxy : https://amzn.to/2RbxvC2
TotalBoat High Performance Epoxy : https://amzn.to/2QRf5GA
Yorkshire Grit : http://yorkshire-grit.com/
CA Glue : https://amzn.to/2DdbN8V
🛠 Tools Used On The Skateboard Bowl (affiliate):
Woodpeckers Ultra-Shear carbide turning tools: http://bit.ly/ultrashear
Lathe : https://amzn.to/2De5sds
Chuck : https://amzn.to/2ytBr9k
Drill Sanding Pad : https://amzn.to/2tcFykS
Curved Tool Rest : https://amzn.to/2CnjMyO
Turning Calipers : https://amzn.to/2DeZg5b
Face Shield : https://amzn.to/2W53sf8
📹 SUBSCRIBE : https://goo.gl/V5gcNJ
💰 SUPPORT ME : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-hTi9atsD6wAl2s46LpAVw/join
📲 FOLLOW CRAFTED WORKSHOP!
This project started when I asked my buddy Ben from Woby Design to send me a blank that I could turn. I had seen some bowls turned from skateboard pieces and I really wanted to give it a shot.
To get the blank mounted on the lathe, I decided to use a face plate, so I first needed to get one face of the blank flat. I used my jointer for this, but a hand plane would definitely get you close enough.
After flattening that face, I marked the center and then screwed on the faceplate.
Next, I got the piece mounted on the lathe, set my speed to about 700 RPM, got my tool rest in place, and got to roughing out the shape.
Next, I started cleaning up the bottom, first facing it off and then cutting a recess for my chuck jaws. With the mortise cut, I continued shaping the outside of the bowl until I got really close to the final shape.
Next, using this drill mounted sanding pad, I sanded the outside of the bowl up to 220.
With the outside of the bowl sanded, I installed my chuck in the recess on the bottom of the bowl and then flipped the whole thing around, installing the chuck on the headstock and then removing the faceplate.
Next came the process of hollowing out the bowl. Again, since this whole piece was basically plywood edge grain, this was a little rough, so I decided to instead drill a hole to depth using a 2” Forstner bit, to help both remove a good portion of the waste and also help set my depth.
I switched over to my round carbide tool at this point and just continued removing material until I got an even wall thickness all the way down.
Next, I sanded the inside of the bowl up to 220 grit, again with the foam sanding pad.
For the finish on this bowl, I wanted to experiment with using some TotalBoat Table Top Epoxy. Even after sanding, the surface of the bowl had some voids and other imperfections due to the fact that this was made from old skateboards, and I figured a few coats of epoxy would fill any voids and give the surface a nice, even feel.
After applying two thin coats, I was left with a surface which was close to perfect. I actually considered just leaving it exactly how it was at this point, but I wanted to really level the surface and then buff it out to a more even gloss.
I started with 220 grit sandpaper on the foam pad, just to level things out, and then worked my way up to 500 grit with hand sanding.
Next, I used Yorkshire Grit, which I’ve seen some other epoxy turners use with a lot of success. I first applied the regular Yorkshire Grit, following the directions on the can. After getting an even surface with that, I moved up to the Microfine version, which further refined the surface and left me with a beautiful, even sheen.
The last thing to deal with was the bottom of the bowl, and I got an idea from watching David Picciuto’s recent bowl turning video. I laser cut a piece to cover up the inside of the recess and added my maker’s mark, and Ben had included some thinner pieces that were perfect for this. I just glued the piece in with CA glue and then poured on a thin layer of TotalBoat High Performance Epoxy to finish it.
With that, the bowl was done!